I am sorry if you think I am yelling at you, but YOU MUST TRY THIS SALAD.
Salads can get a little monotonous, but this one can definitely spice things up a bit. I found it after receiving my first head of Napa cabbage. I had never eaten it before. Truthfully I am a bit sick of cabbage and was not looking forward to finding still more recipes for it. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this recipe, and to discover that Napa cabbage is more lettuce-y than cabbage-y.
I made several changes both the first and second time I made this, and was very pleased with the outcome:
1. It was too chilly out this past week to grill outside, plus I don’t do that; that’s my husband’s thing. Instead, I thinly sliced the sweet potato, tossed it in olive oil with salt and pepper, and roasted it in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes. (I couldn’t help but eat a whole bunch of slices straight from the pan. YUM!)
2. Though I love red onions, I probably only used 1/4 cup of them, if even that. I cannot fathom using a full cup of them. Yikes! I didn’t have green onions, and felt it was onion-y enough anyway, so I didn’t miss them.
3. I used maple syrup instead of honey the first time, and agave nectar the first time. Both worked well.
4. I used the hot sauce the first time and it was okay. I liked it better the second time with crushed red pepper flakes.
5. I didn’t use the pumpkin seeds either time. I suppose that would taste alright, but honestly I’m having a hard time imaging that.
6. I didn’t have cilantro either time, but given the amount of the lime flavor, I think that would be a divine addition.
I ate huge bowls of this. It is so good and good for you. It made me very happy. Enjoy!